Wednesday, December 12, 2007

USM Has a New Head Man



USM introduced Larry Fedora today as their new football Head Coach. In front of a large crowd, Fedora promised to bring an attacking style of offense and defense to Hattiesburg. 

With 17 years of coaching experience, Fedora has most recently served as Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma State University for three seasons, brining the Cowboy offense up from one of the worst offenses in the NCAA (ranked in the 100's) up to ninth nationally in total offense this past season. Prior to being at OSU, he served for one season as Offensive Coordinator at the University of Florida under former Coach Ron Zook. 

To me, it looks like USM got a great young head coaching prospect. As with all Coordinators-turned-Head Coaches, there may be a slight learning curve, but Fedora does have some good experience on his resume. 

I've always thought that the three major universities in MS need to find a way to out-scheme a majority of the teams they play due to the difference in talent level and depth against some of the top tier schools, especially some of the SEC schools. I think USM has a found a coach that will bring an exciting brand of offense to Hattiesburg, one that should definitely be able to keep up with the top teams in CUSA right now - UCF and Tulsa to name a few. 

I say good job to the USM administration for taking the time to interview multiple candidates and not make a rushed decision. I had a chance to sit down and talk with Richard Gianini two summers ago when I interviewed for a position in the USM athletic department and although I didn't take the position offered to me, I was very impressed with Gianini and his other administrative staff. 

I know some of the fan base at USM was (and still may be) upset at the ouster of Bower after 17 years, but I think Fedora will rally the fan base in a short time and create some excitement in Hattiesburg. 

Feel free to comment. I'd especially like to hear from the USM fans/alumni out there. 

6 Comments:

Blogger 4thsteagle said...

Very well written and being an avid Southern Miss fan I fully agree with your assessment.

I said, Bower is a good man and coach, but as a team we were stagnant and moving backwards from the others in our conference.

Fedora has charisma and has been successful at raising play at each University he has coached at. I'm excited at what the future holds for my Golden Eagles and so do a majority of our fans.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you both. I just wish USM would have showed more class with the way Bower was booted. Mabey they will do some kind of tribute to him.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tribute? He had 17 years (more of than as an assistant to build a program and the bext he did was 7 & 5 in a non-BCS conference.

Not saying they can't give him a good position at the University.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh, well written article. From someone close to the athletics dept at the university Bower was offered another position within the athletic dept, but he refused saying, "Im a coach, not a politician." I think the admin. chose a good candidate. i am excited to see his style of offense. With that said, a head coach cant do everything. lets see who he picks as his assistants and coordinators. I just hope we prove jesse palmer wrong in the bowl and give bower something postive to leave on. He has done a lot for us and the university. He will move on and so will we. Eventually, Bower will be back at USM, when he gets tired of coaching.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Birdpoo said...

Like I said earlier....
Jeff had taken us as far as he could. He did a great job at USM, we just need to move foward now.
I hope he gets to leave on a good note. Spanking Cincy in the pizza bowl would be a nice Christmas present.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home